Senior Software Engineer with Expert Python Experience
We are on the hunt for a world-class Senior Software Engineer to work out of our New Zealand HQ, located in the Britomart Precinct of Auckland city. Applications close on the 5th November, 2015.
Applicants for this position must have New Zealand residency or a valid New Zealand work visa.
What is PredictHQ?
PredictHQ is a global events intelligence platform that aggregates, enriches and connects scheduled and real-time event data happening both locally and globally, then predicts which ones could impact your business. View our quick 2 min intro here.
The Senior Software Engineer, reporting to the CTO, is responsible for helping to deliver strategic projects with specific reference to the continued evolution and integration of the API and associated technology. This is not a role for the faint hearted, it is challenging, complex and requires innovative thinking. However you will be working within a business that is focused on a shared vision of growing globally and continuing to deliver a unique platform across a diversified set of customers. This role will be immensely rewarding and you will be working alongside an experienced and passionate team who have been involved in starting up businesses that now employ hundreds of staff across the world.
Key Tasks and Expected Results:
- Work closely with the Web App & API team.
- Recommend solutions for low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code for the Web App & API
- Constantly refactor existing code (your own and other’s)
- Optimise the performance of the Web App & API
- Design and implement test scenarios based on live usage and error logs
- Create technical documentation to show developers how to implement specific solutions
- Create sample applications, use case workflows, code snippets, Step-By-Step guides for consuming APIs
- Work closely with the Head of Product to deliver priority projects
- Actively participate in overall decision making, problem solving and innovation
- Ensure a healthy and safe work environment:
- Understand health & safety responsibilities according to health & safety legislation.
- Understand emergency and evacuation procedures.
Skills, Knowledge and Competencies:
- Ability to independently complete projects from start to finish
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind scalable applications
- Expert in Python, with knowledge of at least one Python web framework (Django preferred)
- Familiarity with PHP, with knowledge of at least one PHP web framework (Zend preferred)
- Familiarity with some ORM libraries (Django preferred)
- Ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system (MySQL, Elasticsearch)
- Knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments (OAuth 2.0)
- Ability to create data schemas that represent and support business processes
- Strong unit test and debugging skills
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools (Git preferred)
- Knowledge of Ansible & System Administration is a plus
- Expertise or at least familiarity with big data solutions such as Spark, ElasticSearch, Hadoop, AWS
- Able to take initiative
- Tactful and mature
- Aptitude for research
- Good organisational skills
- Strong leadership and communication skills;
- Ensure that all activities are conducted in accordance with internal policies and procedures, applicable legislation, rules and standards, including relevant Acts, Advertising Standards Authority rules and regulations, and industry body requirements.
- Oh yeah, don’t be a dick.